If you deal with chronic pain or stress or have recently experienced an injury, hydromassage may be an ideal solution for you. Hydromassage is a treatment method often used by chiropractors that is effective and easy to use. Read on to learn more about this healing tool.
What is Hydromassage?
Hydromassage is an effective alternative to a traditional massage as it reaps many of the same benefits. The ancient Romans and Greeks believed that water immersion was a valuable healing source for body, spirit and mind. The hydromassage concept builds upon that idea, offering more modern day benefits.
Massage therapy has been proven to be beneficial for easing pain, while offering the following benefits:
- Easing sciatica pain
- Reducing stress
- Improving blood circulation
- Fostering a more positive healing environment
- Relaxing tight muscles
During a hydromassage, you will lie fully clothed on a bed filled with water. Between your body and the water is a waterproof barrier that keeps you from actually getting wet. The water is heated then it moves over your body by way of pressurized jets. You can relax and enjoy the massage pulses on all areas of your body. The jets can also be customized to get the water pressure in the area you are experiencing pain the most.
Conditions Helped by Hydromassage
Numerous physical ailments and conditions can be improved with hydromassage. Below are a few of the ways that hydromassage helps to heal certain conditions.
- Reduction in pain: The water jets used in hydromassage tables are more powerful than those used in a typical whirlpool tub and the temperature of the water is warmer. The combination of the pressure from the jets as well as the heat from the water help to deliver oxygen to the muscles, while reducing pressure from sore muscles and joints. Individuals suffering from chronic inflammation, fibromyalgia, arthritis and joint pain may experience relief with hydromassage.
- Stress relief: Hydromassage can boost your mood as it has been proven to help promote cell renewal and relaxation. People suffering from anxiety, digestive issues, migraines and high blood pressure can enjoy these benefits.
- Improved circulation: The heated water helps to promote muscular blood circulation. Weight lifters and athletes can benefit from better muscle warm up as well as recovery with hydromassage. Additionally, anybody who suffers with tight muscles can experience relief.
- Release of toxins: The gentle pressure of the jets is strong enough to force toxins out of soft tissues and muscles, enabling the body to better release them. Hydromassage therapy helps to promote circulation within the lymphatic system, thus removing waste.
How Hydromassage Differs from Regular Massage
The benefits and feeling of a hand massage can also be experienced with hydromassage. But a hydromassage can be more convenient as you can experience these benefits without spending a lot of time and effort.
A hand massage can take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes to be completed. You must also be partially undressed. A hydromassage session only takes about 10 to 15 minutes and you do not have to undress at all.
Hydromassage is also effective because the heated water can penetrate deeply into tissues, which can provide healing and pain relief.
Hydromassage is convenient as it can be easily incorporated into your workout routine or lunch break. Some offices enable you to watch TV or listen to music during your hydromassage session as well.
Who can Benefit from Hydromassage?
Almost anybody can enjoy the benefits from hydromassage. It is best that you tell your chiropractor of any health conditions that you have before using it, including high blood pressure or irregular heart rhythms. Also let your chiropractor in Brookhaven, GA know if you have had any recent injuries, are recovering from surgery or if you are pregnant. It is also advised that you not receive hydromassage therapy if you have recently consumed alcohol or if you just ate a large meal.
Chiropractic patients who need spinal manipulation are sometimes offered hydromassage before adjustments as the warm water helps to make the adjustment easier by relaxing muscles surrounding joints.
If you have any form of pain, digestive issues, tendonitis or any other conditions mentioned in this article, hydromassage is likely an excellent therapeutic option for you.