Questions and Answers About Continuing Education and Insurance Licenses in the State of Florida

By FredrickHobbs

Question: Who is required to complete continuing education courses in order to maintain their licenses?

Answer: In order to maintain a license the following licensees are required to take continuing education courses as required by the Florida Department of Financial Services: adjustors (public, independent, and employees of insurance companies), customer representatives, and insurance agents who self, general lines (property and casualty insurance), personal lines, health only, industrial fire or burglary, life and health, life including variable annuity, and life including variable annuity and health agents, life only, limited surety, motor vehicle insurance agents (physical damage and mechanical breakdown), professional bail bondsmen, surplus lines, and title agents.

Question: When am I required to take intermediate and advanced level continuing education courses?

Answer: Once you have been licensed for six years, you can no longer take beginner level continuing education courses, meaning from then on, you are required to take only intermediate and advanced level courses.

Question: I am a non-resident Florida licensee living in the state of Michigan. My status shows that I am out of compliance in Florida. How do I meet compliance in Florida?

Answer: In order to meet compliance, you’ll need to verify your home state, which in your case is Michigan, and update your CE compliance. You can do this by requesting a letter of certification from the state of Michigan verifying that you meet compliance. You can also request a copy of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners’ database showing your active resident license status. You won’t be considered ‘out of compliance’ until 45 days after your compliance date so you’ll need to wait to send your letter until after your compliance cycle has ended.

Question: I took a course online but it isn’t showing up on my transcript. What do I do?

Answer: Your continuing education provider has 20 days after you’ve completed your course to submit course credit for you. If they have no submitted your course credit after the 20 day period, you should contact the provider directly. If you still have problems, you can call the Florida Department of Financial Services at 850-413-3137.

Question: I’m changing my adjustor license from one adjustor to another adjustor license. How does this affect me meeting CE compliance? What are the dates and requirements of compliance?

Answer: Your compliance period will remain the same and your requirements will not change if you switch from one adjustor type to another.